Zuleya is the newly created retail brand in the UAE that sells the products made by the FBMI initiative in Afghanistan, with all profits being reinvested into FBMI. Zuleya is an FBMI Enterprise with showrooms in Dubai Design District (D3) and Yas Mall, Abu Dhabi. The profit from Zuleya’s sales is invested back into the carpet making initiative to preserve this ancient craft for generations to come.
Carpet weaving is the heart of Afghanistan’s intangible heritage, a craft passed down for generations. Zuleya provides women with employment in the traditional carpet production process. Every stage of the ancient craft of carpet making, from shearing the sheep, to spinning the wool, to hand-knotting the design, to trimming the pile of the finished rug, is carried out by hand - because there is no better way of making a rug. The entire process is 100% organic and 100% made in Afghanistan.
We’re trying to safe carpet weaving culture alive
The profit from FBMI’s carpet sales is invested back into the carpet making initiative to preserve this ancient craft for generations to come. The Afghan women are paid a good wage which in turn empower them to help themselves. It is a truly sustainable initiative and a highly successful social enterprise.
to Our Shop
- FBMI buys locally sourced wool (wool collection provinces are Herat, Helmand, Bamian, Parwan and Ghazni).
- Employ women to spin the wool.
- Dye the wool using natural vegetable dyes (obtained from local farmers).
- FBMI distributes looms, wool and designs to weavers (weaving areas are Faryab, Jowzjan and Parwan).
- Woven carpets returned to FBMI for processing (FBMI centres are in Bamian, Kabul and Nangarhar).
- Finished carpets exported to Zuleya showrooms in Dubai D3 and Yas Mall, Abu Dhabi.